Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The outcast by Jolina Petersheim

I am not usually a big fan of Amish fiction,it really is just not my thing,so I was a bit reluctant to give "The Outcast" by Jolina Petersheim a try. Also,I am not a huge fan of retelling of classics as I really don't think anyone can measure up to those authors.So I started this book with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a lot better than I thought.
When old order Mennonite Rachel becomes pregnant as a young single women, she is quickly shunned especially when she will not name the father of her child. As Rachel learns to adapt to life outside of anything she has ever known she quickly finds that there are kind and loving people everywhere. When  Rachel's young son is found to have cancer then some things come out and Rachel hurts those around her love her the most.

Overall I really enjoyed this book,despite the subject matter. I thought some of the content was a little more than I would of expected for a Christian book so I would not recommend it to a younger audience. Still I really enjoyed the authors writing style and look forward to reading her forthcoming books.

1 comment: